A²J Writes is a collaborative blog by Ariel, Andrea, and Jillean for the course Promoting Writing in Primary Grades. The blog reflects on class sessions by highlighting key insights, interesting ideas, and ways to apply strategies in real classrooms. It goes beyond summaries to include thoughtful reflections and suggestions for future teaching. Collaboration is central, the team builds on one another’s posts, exchanges feedback, and engages with peers’ blogs to create a wider learning community.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Journey of Seeing: Final Reflections on Writing and Teaching
As I wrap up this blog series, I look back at a profoundly changed understanding of what it means to write and to teach writing. What began ...
-
When Dr. ABC walked into class with a mischievous smile and projected a list of descriptive writing topics. I had no idea how much fun and...
-
This week’s class finally brought theory and practice together. As I engaged with a sample of student writing, I found myself pulled into ...
-
Not all writing follows a neat, linear path. An activity was done using a student's writing sample, which revealed how dynamic and unpre...

Wow, Ariel, this was such a beautifully written piece! I really love how you described writing as a mirror of how we think and grow. That line stayed with me because it captures the emotional side of writing that often gets overlooked in classrooms. It’s so true that each draft teaches us not just about words, but about ourselves.
ReplyDeleteYour reflection also made me pause at the question you posed: “How can teachers help students see writing as a journey, not a chore?” That’s such an important challenge. I think it starts with creating a classroom culture where mistakes are seen as part of growth, not as failure. When students realize their messy drafts are actually stepping stones, they begin to take more risks and write with greater authenticity.
I also agree that giving students more choice in what they write about can transform their engagement. When their writing connects to their experiences or interests, the process becomes meaningful — it feels less like a task and more like a form of self-expression.
Thank you for this reminder that writing isn’t just an academic skill, but a lifelong journey of discovery. Thumbs up!