A²J Writes is a collaborative blog by Ariel, Andrea, and Jillean for the course Promoting Writing in Primary Grades. The blog reflects on class sessions by highlighting key insights, interesting ideas, and ways to apply strategies in real classrooms. It goes beyond summaries to include thoughtful reflections and suggestions for future teaching. Collaboration is central, the team builds on one another’s posts, exchanges feedback, and engages with peers’ blogs to create a wider learning community.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Journey of Seeing: Final Reflections on Writing and Teaching
As I wrap up this blog series, I look back at a profoundly changed understanding of what it means to write and to teach writing. What began ...
-
When Dr. ABC walked into class with a mischievous smile and projected a list of descriptive writing topics. I had no idea how much fun and...
-
This week’s class finally brought theory and practice together. As I engaged with a sample of student writing, I found myself pulled into ...
-
Not all writing follows a neat, linear path. An activity was done using a student's writing sample, which revealed how dynamic and unpre...

I loved your description of scribbles as “epic tales” it really made me see how much meaning children put into their writing. I’m curious: how do you decide when to guide a child’s writing versus letting them explore freely? Also, have you noticed if certain topics or interests spark more creativity in young writers?
ReplyDeleteThank you, Ms. Logan. When it comes to guiding children’s writing versus letting them explore, I try to strike a balance. I typically begin by gauging a child's level of engagement and their ability to express ideas freely. Students are left to explore without interruption because I believe that’s when authentic creativity flows. However, if students seem unsure, frustrated, or stuck, that’s my cue to gently guide them with prompts and questions, such as what is your favorite thing to do?'' or examples to support and uncover their voice again. I have also noticed that children’s creativity really flourishes when the topic connects to their experiences or interests, such as family, pets, favorite foods, or imaginary adventures. Therefore, when they write about topics they love or are curious about, their stories come alive with emotion, detail, and personality. Later on, students can receive feedback and participate in discussions about their work after sharing their writing.
ReplyDelete